Friday, February 13, 2009

What i've learned this week

Pretty much the entire week has been consumed with rehabbing the house V was living in. It's taken alot of work, but we're almost done. At first it was extremely cathartic. I got a bucket of hot water and a sponge and sat on the floor and washed every baseboard in the entire 2300 sq ft house. After 5 days of cleaning and repairing I am tired of cleaning up after that man. Done. Finished. No futher therapy needed.

But I have learned several things this week that i'm pretty excited about. I've never done this much physical labor or these types of repair before, so i'm looking forward to being able to do them in my own home.

First, Home Depot is now heaven. I had no idea this store was so cool! I think I've spent like 3 hours in there this week, picking up things for V's house and mine. I can't wait til it gets warmer and I can hit their garden section.

We spackled and textured. I had no idea this was so easy. I had to do 3 corners, where it had been chipped off down to the metal and was quite proud of how they turned out. The entire place needed to be spot painted. I think we went through 3 gallons of paint.

This little thing was so much fun! I caulked all the tubs and around the toilets.

Hung up 7 new blinds.

Replaced 4 kitchen tiles. Ken did this actually. Only took him like an hour to get the old ones out and the new ones in, but of course you have to set and treat it over the next 24 hours.

Took out 15 bags of trash, a couch, entertainment center, lawn mower and took home 4 bags of stuff that originally was mine but I had left when we splilt. Overall I feel better than I ever have about the split. And it's been just great having Ken there with me. He's taught me alot, and we've had some amazing discussions, about everything that has happened and everything that we want for in the future. Absolutely beyond exhausted but it's been a good week.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

An amazingly productive week in more ways than one!!

Lisette said...

I am with you SITSa - its so funny, but Home Depot & Lowes are my new BFFs.. I can relate! What a feeling of accomplishment though when you the work yourself!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I know...I love Home Depot and Lowes...bunches!!

AndreaLeigh said...

you go girl! you are amazon woman with your bob villa self! i am jealous. i am not handy at all.