Friday, January 2, 2009

New habits - not resolutions

Over chinese lunch today, my best friend Emily and I were discussing our goals for the new year. I had really decided to not set any resolutions, as I feel I should just keep taking baby steps towards my new life. But after listening to Emily talk about her goals, and her plans to acomplish them, to improve herself this year, inside and out, I felt inspired. So instead of resolutions, i'm going to set out 12 new habits that I want to establish for 2009. They say 30 days of repetition makes something a habit. So I figure one a month and i'll be doing good. So here it goes.

1. Study devotionals once a day
2. Exercise, in some form every day
3. Live on less than $50 a week (with the prices of gas going back up this might have to change)
4. Make an effort to look nice for work every day, (no more jeans, sweatshirt, pulling my hair back in a pony tail and no makeup)
5. Stop cursing
6. Watch the news everyday and pay attention/get caught up on wordly events
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.

These are in no order yet, and obviously I still have to come up with a few. For January i'm tackeling # 4. All I did with my hair was pull it back into a clip but I at least put on a nice sweater and makeup. Any one have any ideas of new habits they'd like to establish in their lives?

5 comments:

Liz said...

that's a great way to put it...if you don't make it a habit it won't stick!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and following me!

AndreaLeigh said...

I also want to make more of an effort with my appearance. No more going to work with wet hair!

!llegally blonde said...

Baby steps towards your new life - this is such a nice way to put it. It is very realistic, and being realistic is a sure step in making you achieve you goals. Just remember that a habit could either be a) a virtue or b) a vice. Repeated good habits = virtues = your goals :)

The Muse said...

great way to put things in perspective :)

Lorie said...

That sounds great! My best friend is doing the same thing (new habits), and although I'm hesitant; I might give it a try.
Thanks for following my blog.